Clear Liquid Diet – Do Doctors Recommend This Weight Loss Program?
A clear liquid diet is a diet that comprises of food and drinks that are clear. The word clear is used to describe the transparency of the food and drink, which means that we can see through them. In this type of diet, the dieter is not restricted to taking in only colorless foods and drinks.
It is not designed to be used over long periods; rather it is used when one has to get ready for a specific medical test-bloodwork being the most common among the tests. It is most helpful when a patient who is about to be subjected to medical examinations experiences dizziness or nausea.
This weight-loss plan is an effective way of losing weight. However, before starting on this diet, the dieter must first know the following:
- While on the diet, the dieter must not disregard eating the kind of healthy foods that he has been used to. Neglecting these foods will only make the dieter miserable because of the deprivation that he gives himself.
- As mentioned earlier it is not something that one has to embark for a long period. The moment you get off the plan, there are big chances that the weight you lost will come back. In worst cases it may even double up. It is impossible for one person to live on clear liquid forever.
- Since all the plan requires the dieter to do is eat and drink clear foods, which may in the long run be boring. There is a tendency that the dieter will outgrow this routine and resent the foods he eat.
- The plan proves no nutritious claims. The plan disallows the intake of vegetables, fruits and oatmeals which are nutritionally sound. They should not be neglected.
A clear liquid diet usually includes:
- clear juices without pulp.
- electrolyte drinks, ginger ale, and club soda.
- clear broths.
- plain popsicles that do not contain pureed fruit or chunks.
- hard candy.
- gelatin products, such as Jell-O.
- tea without milk or cream.
It’s extremely advised that you go on a diet that will best suit your preferences and health needs. Most especially, it is best that you enjoy whatever program you choose to partake.