Sopas Recipe – Try this delicious and hearty Sopas (Filipino Chicken Noodle Soup) recipe that will surely keep you warm and fit during the cold and rainy days!
Sopas is truly comfort food. It keeps you warm during bad weather and also very nourishing when you are sick or even when you are feeling down, a good warm bowl of Sopas will just do you wonders.
- 1 lb Chicken breast or legs
- 1 cup Vienna sausage
- 1 Bell pepper, big
- 2 cups Cabbage
- 1 Carrot, medium
- 1 stalk Celery
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 Onion, medium
- 12 fl oz Evaporated milk
Pasta & Grains
- 2 cups Macaroni
Baking & Spices
- 1 Pepper
- 1 Salt
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 6 cups Water
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
How to cook Filipino Sopas?
There are different ways people prepare this hearty soup. This Sopas recipe was taught from generation and I’ve known some people do it the same way.
- Boil chicken breast in water with a little salt and pepper. Once cooked, remove from the stock and shred meat into smaller pieces using two forks.
- In a pot, sauté garlic and onion in butter until tender. Add the chicken meat and noodles and cook for 5 minutes stirring from time to time to avoid burning the noodles.
- Add the chicken stock to the pot and cover. Once it starts to boil add carrots, bell pepper, and celery and cover again.
- Once the noodle is cooked al dente, add the milk and sausages. Add more salt and pepper if needed. Let it simmer for a few more minutes until the noodles are completely cooked and soup starts to thicken. Add water or milk if soup becomes too thick.
- Add cabbage before turning off the stove and cover. Let the cabbage cook for at least 5 minutes from the residual heat. Transfer to serving bowls.
What is Sopas?
Sopas is a Filipino noodle soup that is cooked in a creamy broth with milk. It normally cooked with a medley of vegetables like carrots, bell pepper, celery, and cabbage. This is just basic, potatoes, green peas, and other vegetables can also be added. Another distinctive thing about it is the addition of slices of hotdog or Vienna sausage.
The meat used to flavor the broth is usually chicken. However, it is not uncommon to see others use ground beef as an alternative. Others also add chicken gizzard and liver. As for the noodles, elbow macaroni is the popular choice but shell or small tube pasta like ziti are also normally used.